Modern Foreign Languages
The skills of communication, problem-solving and developing an understanding of others are at the very core of Modern Foreign Languages here at Lynch Hill Enterprise Academy. Our department aims to engage and motivate students with a love of learning language and discovering different cultures. We currently offer French at KS3 and KS4, with year 7s starting German or Spanish after October half term.
We use a range of methods and techniques to deliver our lessons including ICT, Youtube, interactive whiteboard games, songs and computer lessons. During their lessons, students learn to understand, read, write and speak in target language, as well as develop clear grammatical understanding. This supports not only their French work but other subject areas too.
Students are assessed across the four key skills in both KS3 and KS4: reading, writing, listening, speaking.
Why study French?
- French is one of the major global languages spoken in over forty countries
- French is the official working language of the United Nations, UNESCO, NATO and The International Olympic Committee among others
- 75% of employers want language skills
- It’s fun to learn – where else can you learn from games, songs and films!
Why study German?
- German is the most widely spoken language in Europe, with 83 million speakers
- 1 in 10 books in the world is published in German
- Graduates with German-language skills are consistently the most sought after by employers
- Some of the world’s biggest companies are German- DHL, Bosch, Daimler, BMW to name a few
Why study Spanish?
- There are 21 countries with Spanish is the national language
- Spanish is the 4th most spoken language in the world
- It can help you learn other European languages, such as French or Italian
- Two of the ten most visited countries in the world are Spanish speaking (Spain and Mexico)
We use the Expo series of books to support the curriculum through languages.
Year 7: Expo 1
Year 8: Expo 2
Year 9: Foundation GCSE
Studying a language is optional at GCSE. We offer the AQA French GCSE course.
The AQA GCSE course covers the following Themes within the course:
Theme 1: Identity and Culture
Topics: Me, my family and friends, Technology in everyday life, Free-time activities, Customs and festivals
Theme 2: Local, National, International and Global Areas of Interest
Topics: Home, town, neighbourhood and region, Social issues, Global issues, Travel and tourism
Theme 3: Current and Future Study and Employment
Topics: My studies, Life at school/college, Education post-16, Jobs, career choices and ambitions
There are four assessments at GCSE, taken at the end of the two year course. These examinations are equally weighted as follows
Paper 1: Listening – 25%
Paper 2: Speaking – 25%
Paper 3: Reading – 25%
Paper 4: Writing – 25%
Click here for the curriculum map
Application FormTo apply for a place at
the new Academy
Lynch Hill ProspectusOur new prospectus for 2018 is now available.
- Click here to view or download our Term Dates
DfE school performance tables
Click here to view the DfE performance tables
Show My Homework
Click here to view
Show My Homework
Click to view our policies
Learning Alliance Academy Trust
Click for info on our accounts and governors