Computing is delivered across the curriculum in all years.
The Computer Science Department is a young dynamic department offering Computing, Digital Literacy and IT skills to meet the 2014 Computing programmes of study. The focus of the curriculum places greater emphasis on programming and other aspects of computer science.
The programme of study offered by the department aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Can understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including abstraction, logic, algorithms and data representation.
- Can analyse problems in computational terms, and have practical experience of writing programs
- Are safe, responsible, competent, confident and creative users of IT
The Key Stage 3 Curriculum
The teaching of Computer Science at Lynch Hill aims not only to focus on the mastering of capability with technical skills and techniques, but also ensures pupils understand and apply these skills purposefully, safely, responsibly in everyday life and employment. They are given the tools to learn and demonstrate practical competence in digital literacy, information technology and programming.
In digital literacy pupil are given the opportunity to acknowledge and appreciate reasons for, and issues relating to the protection of data by investigating in detail issues around the Data Protection Act, Copyright and Patents Act and the Computer Misuse Act. This is also part of the curriculum which enables pupils to have a sound knowledge of e-safety.
In the information technology band of the curriculum pupils are able to get to know and use industry wide software and hardware tools to solve real life issues; from creating websites to developing animations.
In the programming band of the KS3 curriculum, pupils code and create their own technology.
KS4: Course Outline
The OCR GCSE Computer Science course is designed to boost computing skills essential for the 21st century through a combination of practical problem solving, programming methods and a strong foundation for theoretical knowledge of computer systems. The skills of programming will be built up in a structured manner which will allow students to think computationally & gain the knowledge to write algorithms. All pupils will be able to describe the current threats posed to system security, such as malware and cyber-attacks. They will be able to explain the ethical, legal and environmental implications of computer science.
After gaining thorough knowledge of how to program throughout year 10, students complete their Controlled Assessment at the beginning of year 11, which accounts for 20% of their overall grade. At the end of year 11, students complete two examinations which are equally weighted, accounting for the remaining 80% of their grade.
Written examination: 80% Non-exam assessment (NEA): 20%
Unit 1: Computer systems, 1 hour 30 mins – 40%
Unit 2: Computational thinking, 1 hour 30 mins – 40%
Unit 3: Programming project, Year 11 NEA – 20%
Specification link: http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-computer-science-j276-from-2016/
Application FormTo apply for a place at
the new Academy
Lynch Hill ProspectusOur new prospectus for 2017 is now available.
Term Dates 2017/18
- Click here to view or download our Term Dates
DfE school performance tables
Click here to view the DfE performance tables
Show My Homework
Click here to view
Show My Homework
Click to view our videos
Learning Alliance Academy Trust
Click for info on our accounts and governors